Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A LETTER

DEAR TAI,

Congratulations! Heartiest congratulations on your wedding, and may God bless you and Jiju with his choicest of blessings.

I am sure you didn’t expect to get a ‘gift’ from your younger sister today, and definitely not a letter. But then, it is the best I have to offer. What else can I give you? I don’t work or earn! Hee hee…

The first time Dad told me you are getting married, I was stunned. For a moment, all was lost to me, and I was lost in nothing. And then suddenly, I was smiling ear-to-ear and hugging Dad tightly. I was so happy! Ecstatic! And even more so when he told me you are marrying Sanjay. I was so pleasantly surprised! You wont believe me, but in that insane moment, I tried to imagine marrying one of my school friends; God! I went crazy rolling with laughter. But I was so happy for you… really. ‘It must be the best thing to marry your friend,’ I thought to myself… atleast that’s what I think. But then, I’m only 16, so I maybe wrong. But I’d like to believe I’m right; it makes life so much easier.

I was very nostalgic the day Dad told me about your marriage. I found it pretty surprising, and I shocked myself with what I felt about your wedding. I mean, I never saw much of you, but then, you are my real sister after all, even if we don’t live together, and never will perhaps. And now I was not going to be able too see you at all; what with you migrating to Switzerland. I am going to fight with Jiju over this some day…

I have always wanted to have a real sister or a real brother. I used to look at you and Dada, and my heart used to fill with envy. And I used to hate myself for envying you. I used to be so excited when we met at all our family get-togethers. Really! Even before Dad told me about us being real brothers and sisters__ about us being real siblings__ you were always special to me. I don’t know why. On the very few and extremely rare occasions that you’d come to live with us, I would be so fascinated! I used to copy everything you did. I used to get up and laze in the bed. I used to sit in my window, close to you, with my toothbrush in my hand. I used to shake my head left-right vigorously after my bath. You’re hair was shorter than mine, so it was ok for you. But my waist-length hair used to get entangled so badly, Mom used to really have a tough time untangling them, and I used to often get a slap or a rap on my back for my stupidity. I never used to cry.

I remember the night very clearly when Dad told me about us. I remember his exact words, and how shocked and surprised and confused I was. I tried to make head or tales of what he had told me for a long time. So many of my questions had been left unanswered… Why you and Dada didn’t live with us, when we were real brothers and sisters; why did you never even come to stay with us and play with me, atleast once in a while; why you didn’t call my Mom ‘Mom’ but called her ‘Maushi’… I struggled to try and understand why things were the way they were. I was too young to understand the situation. It was more like, I knew the situation, but didn’t know what it meant.

I never ever felt depressed though. Never. I was never ‘sad’ or ‘depressed’ or ‘angry’ or any of the things. I never for a moment hated Dad, or even you or Dada for that matter. In fact I felt more and more close to you, and I loved you and adored you and idolized you even more day-by-day. But I did feel deprived; very deeply deprived.

As I entered secondary school, I began understanding what it meant… us being siblings and not staying together. And that is when it really hit me. I felt so terribly deprived. It was like, I had a brother and a sister, a Tai and a Dada; but I could never tell it to anyone. I would always stumble when my new-made friends would ask me: So do you have a brother or a sister? Only briefly, but I would feel… awkward. And more often than not, I’d end up lying: Nope, I’m alone. And if my friend had a sibling, he or she would call me ‘lucky’; and if they didn’t, he or she would say ‘me neither; join the club!’ they’d say they were glad to be alone, and I’d nod, pasting a smile on my face.

Every time we all gathered for any festival or festivity, you would all talk about the fun you had as cousins; and the stuff you confessed into each other; and the way you covered up for each other; and I’d feel like an alien amongst my own cousins. You had grown together, and it seemed to me like I had tagged along. I had attached myself to a group of brothers and sisters whom I had nothing in common with. I know you didn’t do it on purpose. I would always closely listen to you guys, and try and think what it must have been like. I tried to do stuff that would make you notice me and talk to me. I listened to English songs in hope that I would get to talk to you about them. I tried to adopt the several things you guys did to try and blend in with you and be a part of you.

But most of all, I always tried to be your younger sister Tai; your ‘kid’-sister. I always tried to bond with you. I loved you so much! I was in awe of you. I was fascinated by you; by the thought of having a Tai I could share my stuff with__ ear-rings, clothes, boyfriends, break-ups. I always wanted to be your ‘kid’-sister. But I never got to be.

Every time I was at your place, I’d go through your stuff and try to find out more about you; your likes, your tastes; so that I could adopt them and then probably have something in common with you that would help me strike a chord with you and make you think of me a little more and talk to me a little more and notice me a little more. I would go through the books you read__ Archie’s, Comics, Garfield, Sherlock Holmes__ I’d leaf through them. I never meant to pry through your stuff or take it Tai. I never ever meant to steal it! If I had known you did not like anyone going through your things I wouldn’t have dared to even look at your things. I wouldn’t have dared to enter your room. All I wanted was to be your sister and all I wanted was you to be my ‘Tai’. All I wanted to do was connect with you and feel at least for a moment that I had a sister; a real sister.

I was deeply hurt that day when you told Dad that you didn’t like me sneaking in your room. But I didn’t say anything. And unknowing to me I started detaching myself from you guys, from my cousins, from you. I started having my meals with Ajoba on the dining table when ever we gathered, instead of sitting among you guys and chit-chatting and having fun. I used to pretend to feel very sleepy after my meals and used to go off to the bedroom of whosever house we had gathered at and used to try and fall asleep. I had come to accept that I never was and probably would never be a part of your world; a world which you had all shared together as cousins, but which you were too old to share with me now. I never thought there would be a ‘generation gap’ between us, but that is what happened… to an extent. With you, the youngest of you all, being 9 years older to me, I was another generation for you guys, and I tried to accept it.

I am sorry. I am sincerely sorry for going through your stuff and for doing those things I did. But believe me, I never meant to be privy. All I wanted was to get to know you…

As I see you standing on the stage with Jiju today, I know you have changed. I can see it in your eyes. I can feel it in your gestures. I can feel the aura that you seem to be radiating. I felt it the day when, on our recent get-together, you asked me why I had chosen to sit on the oldies’ side of the table in the restaurant and not with you guys; and it’s stronger than ever today. I can see that you have ‘come of age’ as they say…

I wish you all the luck and all the very best things in life. It is great to see you so happy, and I am happy for you. In fact, I am sure I am the happiest person in this wedding-hall right now; next to you and Jiju of course!

I have put a bet with Dad that I won’t cry when you leave. But I know I am going to cry buckets when I’m alone later in the day.

Don’t tell Dad though! Or I will lose the bet…

I love you! And I am going to miss you a lot…

YOURS TRULY.

12 comments:

Siddharth said...

hey mrunal, attach tujha post vachun zala, ata kuthlya shbadat tujhi stuti karu kalat nahiye mala... pan ek sangto, kuthlyahi lekhacha kivva storycha end jar vachnaryachy angavar shahare anat asel tar to lekh kiiva story nakkich apratim aste, ani tujhe pratyek post vachlyavar mala hach anubhav alay.
tu photographer barobar ek changli ani sensetive lekhak suddha ahes, he tujhya likhanatun siddha hotach ahe.. kadachit pudhlya dashakamadhye tujhe naav baryachda media madhye aikayala milel ashi shakyata vatate ahe ata :)
keep it up dear!!

Prithwish said...

This is seriously a jaw-dropping story...if it were compared to a movie in terms of d emotional stuff, it would certainly be equal to "Terms Of Endearment" or something!! Awesome "tear-jerker".

REALLY REALLY touching story...I really can't say anything more...simply awesome... O__O

Anonymous said...

Once again after a long time it seems, something really beautiful.. Not completely although, I could connect myself at some places... anyways it was too good... the best of all since reflections I feel...

as always, keep it up..

Koni S. said...

hey mrunal cute post ! very cute. :)
keep writing.

Ashay Tamhane said...

Simply enchanting.... Kudos....
Its such beautifully written, touching, so realistic and is woven to perfection.
Loved it..

Ram Adpaikar said...

hey, that's a very enchanting letter. really i loved it a lot. very touching.
have you been through such circumstances? it sounds very true. congrate and best of luck for your future.

glucose said...

hey there mrunal...
im new to blogging, nd i just got hold of urs on an orkut community..
thats a very engaging piece of writing..quite sentimental..nd i like the way u bring out the thoughts and emotions.
ive got a question though...

Poonam : THE CHAMP said...

Simply awesome.....mrunal u robbed my heart by this letter ..it's very touching....hats off to u ...
keep up the gud work

Trupti Naik said...

hey dear tht was very nice...it really touched my heart.....m feelin lik m cryin 4m inside....really my heart is cryin dear.....
best of all the blogs...till nw i have read....

:) said...

Okay, so it took me this long to comment, 'cause I wasn't really sure if I should say exactly what I thought. But I am going to go ahead anyways, and I apologise if I sound harshly horrid.
This is appropriately sweet, and high on the family bond related emotion. But I have seen you write so much better than this (and here I refer to stuff like the one with the kid in the bookstore, or the one where you're screaming in the garden). I don't mean to say there's anything wrong with this per se, but it becomes kind of repetitive after a while. And the whole dada tai thing- it took me forever to figure that one out (but that is just ignorance and stupidity on my part :P)...
Grammatically this is good. You could've done more with vocab and diction, but now I am just being picky. I apologise again if I sound mean.
Looking forward to reading more of your work in the future. :)

Tin Tin said...

Belvalkar,
I read your letter.Your writing seems honest.Please keep it that way.After reading 1000001st first person story about( or should I say, by :P) a mentally disillusioned freak on IAWs, it feels much better reading yours.

You have received heaps of lofty compliments for the post.After reading your post repeatedly,(I wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything) I find none of them credible.Make a list of all the people above(exclude Riya).And beware of these flatterers. I can understand encouragement,but I resent flattery.Keep writing.Good luck.

Unknown said...

fantastic mrunal...like i told you, its beautiful and very touching. wish i had known this earlier...but not all is lost...we have the rest of our lives to bridge the gap!!..and i sure as hell am looking forward to it. next time round dont sit at the oldies side of the table okay? love....lots of it!!! So' Tai.

Like It? Share It!