Thursday, March 26, 2009

LIVING WITH YOU

I stop writing suddenly. The pen falls out of my hands.

A gentle breeze brings in that peculiar smell that I have just begun getting used to.

I sniff.

I can’t believe it.

My heart starts racing.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath till the smell fills my lungs. I take a deep breath till your smell fills my head and drives me mad. That typical smell after you have just had a bath.

I breathe again, and I forget all about my submissions and notes and books.

It couldn’t be!

Has your love driven me so mad that I am imagining and feeling things like they were real?

How could you be in my house!

But the smell… it refuses to go away.

I get up from my chair and walk out of my room. My heart’s begun to race faster, if at all it can. I tip-toe towards my door.

I open it.

The smell hits me. Stronger.

I am sure by now that my olfactory has gone haywire.

I track the smell to my parents’ room.

My parents’ room?

I reach for the door.

I open it.

My heart stops beating

“Hey, you up already?” Dad asks, looking at me.

“What’s that smell?” I ask.

“You like it? One of my friends gifted it to me,” Dad says, throwing a bottle of cologne at me.

I catch it.

I open the lid.

I smell it.

I close my eyes.

I smile...

7 comments:

Prithwish said...

I liked the short sentences that effectively conveyed the near-frantic attitude of the main character after smelling the thingy ; was good.

It'd be MUCH better if you nixed the last line totally. It was extremely weak. Cut it out ; the cliffhanger sorta ending would be better IMO.

Mrunal said...

suggestion duly taken! :D

Siddharth said...

:D !! good re ...

Mrityunjaya said...

It's the AXE effect :D

I liked it ... as always, I can't give you suggestions to improve your story.

pavan madhini said...

Totally agree with Prithwish on the short sentences ...

btw, is the "I smile" line the one he was referring to or did you scrap any other line after his comment ??

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Now that's something! ;)

Good blog btw! Keep @ it!

Cheers

Rakesh

http://almostsunday.blogspot.com/
http://almostsunday.aminus3.com/

Power of Words said...

Lovely post!!

Like It? Share It!