Monday, March 3, 2008

CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE SOUL...

Ok. So it was happening again. And I was prepared; or so I thought…

At the exact moment when I realised I was falling head over heels for my friend all over again, I also realised he was not interested in me, all over again… or that he would probably never be…

I still tried to play it cool… Try and ‘take it all sportingly in a stride’… Be happy for him… Ask about the girl without feeling jealous or left-out… Smile and actually mean it… act mature…

But the main problem with acting mature is that at the end of it, you are still ‘acting’ mature… and not actually being mature…

I again convinced myself… or tried to; that I am a ‘nice’ girl… good-looking and all… and that maybe I am just worth someone better… that I am not his kind but that doesn’t mean I am never going to have a boy-friend or anything… For the zillionth time in my life I tried to get over… over what? Even I don’t know really if you ask me. I mean, we weren’t going around, so I can’t call it ‘heartbreak’… so whatever it was that I was trying to get over… I still haven’t figured out… maybe trying to get over being the ‘outcaste’… trying to get over the fact of being the only person among my gal-pals who didn’t have a boy-friend, and so also didn’t have any of her friends who could spare some time for her and meet her and catch up on things… trying to get over feeling unwanted… trying to get over the feeling you get when your feelings are not reciprocated… Like always I tried to convince myself and said good things about myself to me… things that would, or were supposed to cheer me up… I tried to tell myself… I tried to argue, ‘why is it so important for me that a guy should like me, fall for me or whatever?’, and ‘why was my happiness conditional?’, and on and on I went inside my head. He was sitting in front of me and talking… I could make it out from his lip-movements, but I wasn’t really listening.

I went on and on… trying to ‘look at the brighter side of things’, if there were any… and I tried to ‘act mature’…

And then at one point… I just snapped.

You know what? No matter what you say and what you do… IT SUCKS.

It sucks to be the only single girl in your group of friends… It sucks to always fall for guys who don’t like you… It sucks to have all guys think of you as a ‘guy’… as an equal… just because you are frank and straightforward and bindaas… It sucks big-time. It really does. I am fed up of having to be the ‘poor-me’… and I don’t know what to do about it… I am fed up of eating with a voice at the back of my head that constantly reminds me the number of calories I am putting on… I am fed up of watching models with unrealistic figures on TV… I am fed up of going to college to look at girls who are ‘bitchy’ and pathetic people on the inside but who are also surrounded by people just because they act sweet on the face and are ‘oh-so-girly’… I am fed up of hanging out with friends who have nothing but their boy-friends to talk about… It’s such a shame that people should judge you by how you look and who you hang out with and what time you sleep and whether you go to pubs or not and whether you have a boy-friend or not… and whether you are fat or not… and whether you enjoy late night parties or not… I am fed up of going to romantic movies and then wistfully looking at the hero and the heroine as they kiss each other in the end… It’s so so sick. I am fed up trying to make myself ‘fit’… make myself accepted… I’m fed up of trying to be someone I am not… Ya I don’t wear make-up; I sleep at nine; I am fat; I am not a typical girl; i don’t go to pubs; I don’t wear short skirts and I don’t have a tattoo; and I have never had a boy-friend; and I have never been kissed… SO WHAT?

You try to be cool… you try to get people to accept you into their group… and you don’t succeed… and then at the end of the day, its just you sitting with your tears giving you company… even when you know the whole thing is nothing worth crying over… You know that you are better off such people… and that it’s not the end of the world… but nonetheless, it’s a fact. It is the world you are living in… it’s the world I am living in. It’s a world where I am alone in a crowd. It’s the world that is pathetic to the core, but it’s the real world… and my only consolation lies in this sentence I read somewhere…

Life is a dream… I will wake up when I die…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Life is a dream… I will wake up when I die…" really well said!!

:) said...

The last few words were fantastic- a tad morose and pessimistic, but fantastic.
I can honestly relate to so much of the stuff you write, the situations, the feelings, the need to feel like you'll one day be accepted just the way you are. Don't worry, I keep telling myself. It'll happen. But it never does, does it? But I try to be an optimist about...
Anyways, well written and as always wonderfully honest. :)

meril said...

hey..cool post!!
really loved it. esp the part 'bout being the "girl" among "guys"..
felt like reading one of my own diary entries.

LITWIZ said...

this is something i can read over and over and not get tired.....cause i connect to it myself.....as for the last line "life is a dream - i'll wake up when i die"......beautifully said.......fatalistic and poetic....nice one

koni said...

lovely........u blew me over wid d last line.terrific.....:) keep going.

Abhishek said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Like It? Share It!