Sunday, March 9, 2008

MIRTH

I looked at the trees, the lawn, the grass and the sky. I kept staring out in the distance. Above the sound of the rain, I could hear my mom fry pakoras in the kitchen, the sizzle louder with every batch of pakoras as the oil got hotter and hotter. The first rain of the year. A proper downpour. The kind that wets every millimeter of you within seconds. Suddenly a strong wind splashed a few drops of water on my face. I blinked and drew a deep breath. I turned around and looked inside our house from the verandah. I could see dad sitting in the bean bag, pretending to read the newspaper, but actually fast asleep. I made sure mom was still in the kitchen, listening to the old Marathi songs playing on the radio. I slipped my feet into my slippers and quietly stepped out of the house.

I walked slowly and heavily on the mud path that was carved out around our garden. I stopped where it was cut to enter into the garden. I looked at my feet, at the slippers and then at the grass. I removed my slippers and stepped onto the grass. I walked slowly as I felt the grass beneath my feet. By now my clothes were clinging to me. I was drenched in the first rain of the year.

I looked up at the sky. It was a uniform grey. Spotless. Plain. But not dull in any way. I stared at the sky, unblinking. I felt the drops of rain, sharp as razor; hit my face, my eyes, my cheeks. I stood there, looking at the sky, my hands beside me.

Somewhere I could hear someone calling out to me. I ignored.

I lifted my hand and ran it over my face. Slowly I could feel this energy build up in me. My breathing grew stronger, heavier. I had this mad surge to shout at the top of my voice. No I was not mad or angry at anything or anybody. Sometimes you don’t have to be mad at or angry at something or somebody to feel like doing something so crazy. Nature drive’s you mad.

I opened my mouth and let out a loud cry. A long loud cry.

Suddenly everyone was out of their houses. They were all staring at me, wondering if I had lost my mind. Mom was standing in the verandah of our house with dad, clutching each-other’s hands. I looked at them. I looked at the people who were staring at me. I walked out of our garden onto the street and looked up at the sky again. I kneeled down and spread my arms wide apart and screamed again.

What joy!

What liberation!

I stopped screaming. My head was still tilted upwards. I drew my hands close and bent my head. I placed my hands on my laps and hung my head. I looked up at mom and dad again. And at the people who were still staring at me. And I smiled as I saw few of them were running towards me, their arms stretched out, and their mouths wide open as they joined me in my mirth and screamed.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice situation to write about . I don't if it was intended but the tone of solitary contentment was striking .

LITWIZ said...

hey that was really nice!!!
short and sweet......n also poignant and refreshing.....your best so far i must say!

:) said...

More then the way you've written, I've got to say I love the content of this particular piece. The fact that you were able to scream that freely- I only wish I weren't so self conscious all the time...
Good use of figurative language- especially the auditory imagery in the beginning.
Definitely looking forward to reading more of your work in the future :)

Anonymous said...

nice to read..!! really good..!! keep up the good work..!!

hope to see u at my blog too---
http://www.blissfull-secrets.blogspot.com/

u can add me up at ur blog and i wud add u up on mine so that we can share valuable thots and also spread our writings for othrs to read

Vinod Ramamoorthy said...

Ah ...The rain .. I try always to go for a ride on the first fall of rain ..Bliss isn't it? Sigh .. Now will have to wait a couple of months for that :)

nice write up ..

yash suchak said...

ah, just like a rain bath;
refreshing indeed !!

Harshit Gupta said...

new template.... looking good on the right side but looks too plain on the left... probably because of ur old one... seems like it'll take time to get used to this one...

Anyways, had read the entry long back... It's good.. (actually couldn't comment due to problems with visual verification, too slow net) Waiting for the next post now...

Mrityunjaya said...

funny...yet beautiful.

Like It? Share It!