Thursday, June 5, 2008

THE WAIT WAS OVER

I looked at the sky as I stepped out of the hospital. It was a bright blue colour. Absolutely cloudless. I smiled.

The first thing I saw ahead of me was a mother playing with a small kid in a pram. The kid had a rattle in his hand and was shaking it wildly. He got his mother on the head with his rattle a couple of times, but she seemed not to mind it. I walked over to mother and child and got down on my knees. I ruffled the kid’s hair and he looked at me. I smiled, and the baby chuckled and let out a delighted squeal.

I was thrilled and made to pick up the baby.

‘He must really like you,’ the mother said. ‘He is not so good with strangers.’

I smiled at the mother and looked back at the baby. His eyes were a sparkling blue. Ice blue. Ocean blue. Baby blue.

‘He is adorable,’ I said as I handed him back to the mother. She took him and put him back in the pram. I was too elated to say anything. I just smiled at her and started walking back to my car.

I got in and started driving towards our home.

I stopped at a crossing as the signal turned red. I glanced around me. my eyes fell upon a small girl sitting in the car next to mine. She must have been about two years old. She was wearing a white coloured frock. It had a lemon yellow ribbon around the waist and beautiful big balloon sleeves. She had a doll seated in her lap and was busy combing her hair. She happened to look at me. I smiled at her. She turned pink in her cheeks and looked away. She made a straight dive for her mummy’s tummy. The mother jumped in her seat and looked at her daughter. Then she looked at me. I smiled at her. she smiled back.

The signal turned green, and we were on the roll again.

I stopped by a toy shop, just a few minutes before our home. I parked the car and went inside.

The spirit of the place gripped me and I literally felt the ‘kid-in-a-candy-store’ feeling. I looked at all the bright coloured soft toys, play stations, dolls, teddy-bears, stuffed puppies and kittens that looked so amiable I felt like picking them all up and stuffing them into my car. I looked at the fur pillows, at the jigsaw puzzles, at the play-houses. The shop was almost empty, except a few kids and their parents. Suddenly I felt this compulsive need to go talk to each of the women and befriend them… I felt like one of them.

I picked up a huge life-size koala bear. The girl at the counter helped me carry it back to my car and get it in. just as I was about to thank her and get in myself my phone buzzed. It was a message.

‘wer r u? cnt wait. come coon.’

I smiled. I got in the car and drove straight home.

Just as I entered our front gate, I saw Siddharth come out of the bungalow. His face was tensed. I purposely took my own sweet time to park the car. Siddharth’s eyes caught the back seat till then. I could see his face go from tensed to confused as he tried to figure out what it was that was occupying the back seat top to floor. Finally I turned the car off and got out. I opened the rear door and set about trying to pull the koala bear out. Siddharth looked upon. Just as he saw the furry arm of the toy emerge out of the door, he grabbed my hand and pulled me towards himself. I threw my arms around him and hugged him tightly. I could feel his heart beat against mine. He pulled me away. I was smiling ear to ear, too overwhelmed to say anything. My eyes welled up with tears. He looked at me, into my eyes.

He put a hand on my tummy.

He raised his eyebrows.

I blinked.

The tears rolled down my cheeks.

I smiled, blushing ever so slightly.

And the next minute, Siddharth had scooped me off the ground and was turning round and round in circles.

When he finally put me down on the ground and helped me remove the koala bear from the car, we walked back into the house, me holding the bear by its tummy, Siddharth holding me in his arms. My head tipped onto his shoulders, as his hand came down and rested on my tummy. I put my hand on his hand and he grabbed it.

The wait was over.

13 comments:

Prithwish said...

Awwwwwww......that was CUTE! :D

Really nice stuff...all heartstring pulling n all... :P

Keep going!!!

Siddharth said...

.... as simple as it could be n as narrative as it could build a picture while u r reading thru.
most impt thing is its based on no high profile words , make easy to sketch in mind , good work dear ... keep them coming.

let simplicity make u more charming ! :)

Amol V. Ranade said...

Very well written...Nicely personified...I personally like to title "The wait was over"...good scripting mrunal...kep the good work going :)

Prutha Soman said...

i thought it was sumthng abt rains..the title..but wasnt realy disapointed!!!hehehehehehe

Tin Tin said...

Excellent. Keep it up!

Siddharth said...

hey thats gr8! like i said before, you have a nice vision to look deeper in emotions of people of all age, tu fakta 19 varshachi ahes ani tarisuddha hya story madhye tu eka lagna zalelya strichya manatil bhavana atishay sundarpane mandlya ahes...hich story mi majhya eka mitrala dakhavali tyane kaay vicharale mahit ahe? are tiche lagna zale ahe ka? :)) hyach vakyatun tujhi ani tujhya likhanachi pragalbhata kalate..hats off to you mrunal...

Anonymous said...

that was really touching ............. maybe cuz it struck an element in me ......... more so as it a perfect mirror to every woman's emotion and the way u expressed it so flawlessly !........ and ya this post is way too special ................ i guess u understood mrunal y it is so special .......... !! :)

LITWIZ said...

hey there.....nice one!!again can only say you r the pro!!!you develope a very nice atmosphere in your stories....this one no exception :D

Harshit Gupta said...

superb!

Anonymous said...

it's picture perfect. description is great!!

Anonymous said...

A great piece of fiction that tugged the heart of this 'sentimental beyond belief' entity called ME.
Simple yet Amazing!

mayank puri said...

that was really awesome... i liked the way u have described the feelings...the way u have made the words really come alive...!!

too gud..!!

http://www.blissfull-secrets.blogspot.com/

MAYANK...!! i hope u'll like my blog too

Aparna (Life Takes) said...

i really liked it...wow

Like It? Share It!